Tuesday, October 11, 2016

What a Difference a Decade makes!


This past weekend my husband and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary. Anniversaries are a great time to reflect on where you've been, where you're going, and the adventures that life has taken you on. Within a month of getting married there was a move from Connecticut to Northern Virginia, a career change, an an attempt to sell our house during an awful housing market (we still have that house). I embraced being back "home" in the DMV and Wyatt tried to adapt to beltway traffic (that never happened). He moved from working at a network he grow up with to an unfamiliar network environment that grew him in new ways. I found a home in education which while I never saw it coming, I get the feeling that there are many others out there who were not surprised. 


Our ten years together also produced our little bundle of joy and of boundless energy. While I am not sure that I have forgiven Pierce for not sleeping through the night for a year (his time will come...like early calls from home every Sunday of his freshman year of college), he is definitely our heart. It has not been easy (as you know from earlier posts), but parenthood cannot be all figured out by a manual. It must be lived and experienced. It gets messy and you don't always get it right. It is definitely not a perfect as the well-behaved children and well-rested parents you see in photos online and on social media. Yet, regardless of the challenges and curve balls, the laughs and snuggles are the best. I admit that I may still need to exercise more parental patience, but there are some many times when I am in truly awe of his perceptiveness and curious mind. So in a decade I have grown as a person, as a parent and as an educator. Each role makes me better at the others. Funny how that works. 


Who know what's the next decade will hold for us. We both have some hopes, dreams and aspirations many of which are life focused, not just career focused. However, for now we will take it day by day while living in and enjoying the moment keeping them filled with lots of love, laughter, friendship, and strength (when needed).

No comments:

Post a Comment