Monday, March 19, 2018

Setting My Mind For The Day

Making the home (or spring break) to school transition can be a bit jarring, so it's important for me to set my mind right for the school day each morning. So like so many people, I have an office morning routine to get me ready for whatever or whoever walks through my door that day.

I've always been an early bird (so it's no surprise that my 9 year old is up and raring to go at 6:30 am each morning). Being an early bird means I like to get to work before others arrive. I enjoy the quiet hum of the office, the calm before any potential storms, and to listen to a podcast episode or, if the mood strikes me, to crank up my music to pump some energy into my day.

Of course, my morning is not complete unless I've poured my English Breakfast tea. While colleagues and students are often surprised that I have never consumed coffee in my life, especially with the energy I bring to my day, tea will always be my go to morning beverage of choice. 

Perhaps you do something different to get your mind ready for the day. A morning workout? A cup of coffee? A ride in to work while listening to NPR? Whatever it is, make it your own. Morning routines should be personalized so they make sense for that individual. My morning may look different than yours, but these seemingly simple parts of my routine make a world of difference in getting me ready for when the 8:30am school bell rings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment