Friday, November 17, 2017

Intentional Acts of Kindness

Each year I make an effort to celebrate all the international and national days and movements of kindness. While often we hear about random acts of kindness, are they really random acts? I must admit that there's nothing random about the acts I do. They're intentional and with a purpose. In the simplest terms, it's all about bringing a little joy into someone's life and letting them know that someone is thinking about them. It's also so fun and brings joy into my life.



As one can imagine, the start to the school year is very fast and furious often leaving me a bit harried and tired by term's end. So it's the little things that help along way. Something I love doing is putting together care packages for first year college students. Through my Facebook post, I invite any of my former students starting their first year in college to send me their address and a few items they'd appreciate in a care package. Anyone who wants one gets one. It's pretty simple.

Now, what's the why? It's fun and I like doing it. Also, full disclosure, I never received care packages in boarding school or college. I don't say that bitterly or in a "oh, woe is me" way. My parents were stationed overseas in West Africa during many of those years so it just wasn't possible. However, I always loved the idea of care packages.

This past Monday was World Kindness Day and while it's great to have a day where people can celebrate performing acts of kindness across the globe, I would challenge people to do is commit to celebrating kindness every day in big and small ways. It may be a care package one day and a smile the next. A simple gesture of kindness can change a person's day and positively impact yours, as well. Not sure where to start? Perhaps the below list can provide you with a little inspiration for your own year-round acts of kindness campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment