Wednesday, November 22, 2017

"Thanks"giving 2017

Each year I write a post inspired by a tradition from my high school, the Madeira School, where one morning a year, the microphone was open for anyone to stand before the school and give thanks for things big and small. We all know that no year is without some bumps, bruises, setbacks and some really hard stuff, but even with all that I believe we all have quite a bit to be thankful for this year. So this is my way of continuing this tradition of sharing thanks and appreciation. 

I am thankful for turning 40 and all the memories, laughter, love, friendship, and challenges that has come over the course of those years. I am thankful for my family and friends who love, support, and accept me for me. I am thankful for my son who is a daily reminder that parenting is a humbling job and that neither he nor I need to be perfect to be awesome. I am thankful for the good, joy, beauty, and wonder in my life. I am thankful for the learning I get from my mistakes, failures, successes, risks, and from stepping out of my comfort zone. I am thankful for my strength as it has carried me through some things and I'm still standing. I am thankful for my positivity because it's better than the alternative. I am thankful for my students, past and present, because they help me learn, grow, and challenge me to be a better dean, educator, and person every day. I am thankful for the little things like my DVR, podcast, favorite songs, cheesy predictable holiday movies, the beach, books, statement necklaces, English Breakfast Tea, pizza, Thai food, real mac 'n cheese, Maryland steamed crabs, French fries, cupcakes and so much more. I am thankful for favorite pastimes like volleyball, board and card games, reading, dancing, and traveling that fill my bucket. I am thankful that I get to share childhood loves like Voltron and four square with my son and for the times we spend watching movies and the Flash together. I am thankful for new friends and new communities. I am thankful for my partner in crime, in parenthood, and in life for supporting my whims, my quirks, and my dreams as we go through this crazy, bumpy, imperfect juggling act we love and call life. I am thankful for the journey I have taken to get where I am today and for the adventures that are yet to come. Happy Thanksgiving! 


No comments:

Post a Comment