Saturday, September 3, 2016

"Mind over Matter"

This year my school's theme is "Mind over Matter". Now, I'll admit that intellectually I get the school theme and understand what mindfulness is in a basic level. I wasn't quite sure what approach our school would take exactly and how I would be able to incorporate it into my role as a dean. Enter Rebecca Pacheco, author of "Do Your Om Thing" (@omgal). While she did take us through a few breathing exercises that I know will come in hand throughout the school year, it was what she said that resonated with me. Meditation and being present is "Paying attention - on purpose- without judgement". Whoa! There it is. I may have never really seen meditation this way, put this was one of those "this applies to life" moments. Paying attention is about being in the here and now with oneself, with one's family, and with one's students (for those of us who are educators). Paying attention on purpose means being intentional about what you are doing and how you are listening. Paying attention on purpose without judgement means hearing someone out for the first time or for the hundredth time. Truly listening to what they are saying. Truly being in the moment with them. Paying attention to the said and to the unsaid. And doing all of these things with the intention. This is how I hope to be with my students this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment