Thursday, July 27, 2017

Letting go

Rarely do I really pay much attention to Oprah Magazine's "The Question", but there was something about one from a recent issue that I read while sitting under the dryer at the hair salon.


Pow! A question that really makes you think. After taking in some of responses readers gave, I turned the mirror on myself. How would I answer this question. Full disclosure, it's been a little over a month since I've read the question. After reflecting on the twists, turns, highs and lows of my life, it finally came to me. 

I had to let go of the path I was on in order to find my purpose.

Eleven years ago this weekend, my life changed. I got married and I signed on the dotted line of a contract that ended up changing my career trajectory. 

For a good portion of my high school and college years I pursued journalism, in particular broadcast journalism. I wrote for the school newspapers, took journalism classes, was a radio DJ one summer, and held internships at a public access TV station in Arlington, CNN, Voice of America, and WINA in Charlottesville. So I was all in and it paid off and was psyched that I landed a job at ESPN following college. I appreciate the seven years of experiences I had there. I grew as a person, as a professional, and got to do some pretty cool things. However, there was a point during my journey when I knew I was looking for something more, something different. It may have been the fact that I volunteering at a children's museum, taking a hip hop dance class, taking a photography class, and side hustling as a wedding planner that tipped me off. 

So when my fiancĂ© took a job at another network in the D.C. area I decided to explore what else I could do career-wise and that's how I found myself back at my former boarding school as a Major Gifts Officer. Once again, I found myself challenged (in good ways) and growing from a novice into a capable fundraiser. After two years of fundraising, our centennial campaign came to a close and I found that my ability to build relationships with students and faculty along the way had been noticed by the Dean of Students who asked me to join her office. So that's what I did I and that's when it really clicked ... I enjoy working with, supporting, and cheering on high school students. Who knew? 

A move from sports TV associate producer to Dean of Students may not make sense to many, but what I can say is that I discovered what I was looking for, found my purpose, and realized that what I was missing before was being in a career where I knew the work I was doing had meaning, purpose, and impact. I was constantly learning and reading about pedagogy, learning differences, student supports, leadership, and more. I also found that all my past personal and professional experiences influenced my style of deaning, leadership, and helped me connect with such a cross-section of students. 

Letting go of my plan, changing course, and experiencing a life outside of work that allowed me to cultivate my interests changed my life. I found my home and purpose in education and haven't looked back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment