Monday, July 3, 2017

Summer Session: Celebrating Independence Day

In the past, I haven't done much for the 4th of July. When I was younger it was a backyard BBQ, Maryland steamed crabs, and sparklers (which is delicious and fun). Outside of the one time I celebrated the 4th of July on the National Mall with friends, for most of my adult life the holiday has mainly been a day off without much fanfare and with a desire to avoid massive in an attempt to see fireworks. So when an opportunity to change it up this year arose, I jumped at it. 


This year I celebrated the nation's independence by serving others at Hands on Hartford's 4th of July Community Meal. Hands on Hartford is a nonprofit organization that "serves Hartford's neediest residents in the areas of food, housing, and economic security." One of their programs is the Community Meals programs through which they provide lunch and dinner on specific days during the week and holidays meals on 12 holidays of the year, with the July 4th being one of those holiday meal days. Today we had the privilege of welcoming, serving (restaurant style), and celebrating with Hartford residents. Today was about community.

Edit

Choosing to volunteer on the holiday gave me a chance to give back, serve others, and experience the 4th of July as more than grillin' and fireworks. It also gave me time to think about what the day means to so many people in a country with such a complicated history. While the United States gained its Independence on July 4, 1776, my ancestors did not. [Just to clarify, I am referencing my African-American ancestors as opposed to my Nigerian ancestors or the other family of the slave owner who started my mom's family line through his slave.] It was only until the more recent history that African-Americans gained the full rights to which a citizen was entitled. So on this day, I honor America's Independence Day as I am proud American and I honor those who serve our country and protect our freedoms (which includes both my brothers). Today, I also reflect on the history of this country as it cannot be rewritten and for as far as we have come, there is always more work to do on behalf of all citizens. While I did not go into today thinking beyond my decision to volunteer, I would say that spending this national holiday in service to others and in reflection was a pretty good way to spend it. Happy Indepemdence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment