Thursday, July 20, 2017

We Need to Keep Talking

Tonight I attended the "Unfiltered Conversation on Race" hosted by the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center in Hartford Connecticut and facilitated by Troy Brown and Ellen Boyton. There are so many words that describe how I felt about being there. I'm thankful I came across this event and made the time to go. I'm appreciative of all those in the room for showing up, speaking their truths, being vulnerable, and having the courage to share. Talking about race is not simple or easy, but it is important. We have to be able to talk about the tough stuff (including all the -isms and the marginalization of different groups) even if we stumble and fumble through it. Tonight was an example of that. It wasn't clean. There were ouch moments. There were experiences shared that were hard to hear or that were so different than another's reality. However, we went there anyway. We were fully present and engaged. We listened, we asked questions, we let things sink in, and did not invalidate or dismiss it just because we didn't understand it or hadn't personally experienced it. I am grateful I was in the room to listen and to share. I am always wanting of more conversation and for more people in the room. So if you're already talking about race, keep having those conversations. If you're not, take the first step. Be willing to go there, to engage, to reflect, and to own your stuff, including one's privilege. We need to keep talking (about so many things). Silence does not move anyone or any country forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment