Monday, July 3, 2017

Summer Session: Refilling My Bucket

The school year can take a lot out of an educator. You put a lot of energy and heart into the year and into your students. There are highs, lows, and everything in between, which makes the summer the perfect time to renew, recharge, and refresh. In other words, the summer is when one must commit to refilling their bucket. While it is hard to step completely away from the school life when you want to have some time to reflect on the year that has passed and plan for the year ahead, carving out family time and me-time is equally as important. I mean, if you are not taking care of yourself how do you expect to be there for your students or colleagues. Put on your oxygen mask first.

For me, my refilling bucket takes many forms over the summer (which I will talk about in future blog posts). However, there are always two things I always make sure to include - time at the beach and lots of reading. There is just something about the beach that I love. Perhaps it's the soothing nature of the crashes waves, the blue skies, and warm sun. I love solo time at the beach where I can sit with my thoughts, write or read. I also enjoy family time at the beach and get a real kick out of seeing my son play in the water. We were blessed to be able to get away earlier this summer as a family for a few days to enjoy Narragansett, RI. It did the heart, body, and soul good.


During the school year, there are times when I can be hit or miss with my book goal, but summer gives me the chance to get back on track. So there are currently 3 piles of books crowding my bedside, which include my school summer reading book, some YA fiction, world fiction, leadership books, student leadership books and, of course, a few executive functioning reads. It's safe to say that I have a book problem and it's a good problem to have. If you're interested I listed the books in my piles below. Happy reading!


What's Currently In My Book Piles?

The Alchemist by Paulo Cohelo

Exit West by Mohsin Hamid

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan 

Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek

The Success GPA by Mawi Asgedom

Positively Resilient by Doug Hensch

Choose to Matter by Julie Foudy

Reading with Patrick by Michelle Kuo

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

Four Weeks, Five People by Jennifer Yu

Smart but Scattered by Peg Dawson, EdD, and Richard Guare, PhD

Self Reg by Dr. Stuart Shanker 

Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Adichie

We Can't Talk About That At Work! How to Talk about Race, Religion, Politics, and Other Polarizing Topics by Mary-Frances Winters

No comments:

Post a Comment